Midwifery Schools and Careers Guide
Nurse-Midwife School, Career and Education Resources
A nurse-midwife is an expert in normal birth and is recognized throughout the world as the most appropriate maternity care provider for most women. Nurse-midwives have been used to aid in childbirth for thousands of years, and today they work in hospitals, birthing centers, private practices and home settings. Today many women are opting for natural births with midwives as alternative medicine awareness becomes more prevalent, making midwifery school a great investment.
Learn the responsibilities of a midwife from the beginning of a patient's childbearing cycle to well after the delivery of the patient's baby, and get a glimpse into the midwife career by reading the informative articles below.
Midwifery School and Career Information
- Midwifery School, Salary and Career Information – Get a nurse-midwife career and salary overview and learn about the midwifery scope of practice. Learn about nurse-midwife school to prepare you for your midwifery education.
- Nurse-Midwife Careers – Get a nurse-midwife career licensing overview and discover the difference between nurse-midwives and direct-entry midwives. Learn just how versatile nurse-midwife careers are with the various work settings. Discover which midwifery practice is right for you!
- Nurse-Midwife School – Learn about typical nurse-midwife school prerequisites, discover the hallmarks of midwife school, and learn about the nurse midwife careers of today.
- Midwife Education & Courses – Learn how to get ready for your midwifery education and what to expect in your midwifery training.
- How to Become a Midwife – Get the top 10 tips for becoming a midwife to start your nurse-midwife school and career checklist!
So if you enjoy the natural healing arts and are interested in helping mothers through the childbearing cycle and birthing process, midwifery may be just the profession for you. Begin your journey to helping clients reach improved health and well-being and find the midwifery school that's right for you.
General Midwifery Information
Definition of a Midwife
Midwives are trained professionals who offer care, education, counseling and support of women and newborns during pregnancy and the postpartum period. The midwifery model of care includes the following responsibilities:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle.
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling and prenatal care.
- Providing continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, as well as postpartum support.
- Minimizing technological intervention.
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention.
Midwifery may be practiced in an out-of-hospital or hospital setting. There are two broad categories of midwives that exist in the United States:
- Nurse-midwives – Educated in both nursing and midwifery.
- Direct-entry midwives – Professionally credentialed in midwifery alone.
Learn more about the versatility of nurse-midwife careers, and find the right midwife career for you!
Midwife Career Resources
Midwifery Career Guide Learn about midwife careers and education opportunities.
Nurse-Midwife School, Salary and Career Info Get a nurse-midwife salary and career overview.
Nurse-Midwife Careers Learn how to choose which nurse-midwife career options are right for you.
Midwife Schools and Training Learn all about midwife school prerequisites, degrees and training.
Midwife Education and Courses Get a feel for the different types of midwifery courses.
Tips on Becoming a Midwife Learn the top 10 tips for becoming a midwife.