Acupuncture Career Overview
Acupuncture and Oriental medicine are thriving. See if you’ve got what it takes to be an acupuncturist.
Acupuncturists perform a number of services for their clients.
Acupuncturists have a unique opportunity to treat patients using an ancient method of Oriental medicine. This field often provides a flexible schedule and the chance to meet many people.
What You’ll Do
- Treat patients’ symptoms using a variety of tools including needles, cups and electrical currents
- Provide personalized treatment by developing a plan for each patient
- Stay in accordance with all laws and statutes of acupuncture
- Keep patient records
- Diagnose ailments according to Oriental medicine traditions
- Promote an alternative medicine philosophy
- Make health and wellness recommendations
Acupuncturists can take advantage of being their own boss and running a private practice or they can work in a collaborative setting with other natural healers, like massage therapists. Acupuncture is based on an alternative medicine philosophy which you’ll need to understand before making it a career. Explore the personality traits an acupuncturist should possess and see if this is the career for you.
|you are…||you should have…|
|Comfortable working with the public||High ethical standards|
|Supportive||Tendency for self motivation|
|A good listener||A sympathetic nature|
|A clear communicator||Patience|