Alternative Medicine Career Overview
The alternative medicine field needs enthusiastic practitioners. Find out if you’re a good personality fit for this exciting career path.
Your tasks and duties will vary greatly when you decide to practice in an alternative medicine career. Here are just some of your responsibilities.
What You’ll Do in an Alternative Health Career
- Maintain regular appointments with patients
- Keep records on patients’ medical history
- Provide guidance on nutrition and exercise
- Prescribe natural remedies like herbs, vitamins, botanical extracts and amino acids
- Treat patients with natural therapies including homeopathy, Oriental medicine and Ayurvedic medicine
- Promote overall wellness with patient education
- Focus on human energy healing systems
- Refer patients to practitioners if traditional medicine is necessary
- Treat patients using other alternative medicine methods like acupuncture, massage and Reiki
Alternative medicine is going mainstream. This unique field of medicine has become a popular method of treatment for patients looking for a more natural approach to their health. Not to be confused with complementary medicine, alternative medicine is a field which uses non-traditional methods and tools in place of conventional, or Western, practices. Earning an alternative medicine degree can be great if you’re interested in holistic and natural health because there are a bevy of potential jobs opportunities, including naturopathic doctor (ND).
You can help patients using homeopathy, hypnotherapy and other natural approaches. Find out if you have the right personality traits and skills to become an expert in alternative medicine.
|you are…||you should have…|
|Compassionate||Love of learning|
|A good listener||High ethical standards|
|Supportive||Passion for holistic wellness|
|Open-minded||Clear communication skills|
Find an Alternative Medicine School
Tell us a little about yourself and we’ll connect you with schools that offer Alternative Medicine programs.